[DeTomaso]   ZF Ring Gear Bolts

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Aug 5 17:14:13 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/4/08 3:15:27 PM, oldwheel at mts.net writes:

> Just what I read. I got my bolts from Marino at Pantera East. They aren't
> ARP.

For the recommended Grade 5 bolts, you don't need pricey ARPs. Grade 8 is not
called for in ring gear bolts; any high quality SAE gr-5 bolt will do. Whats
needed is a bolt that's tough under impact loads, not hard. FWIW, stock
Euro-bolts are Metric Gr-12.9 from an unknown european mfgr, which roughly equates
to SAE Gr-8. They break under impact loads; part of the problem is the
serrations under the euro bolt heads don't match up with any other serrations to lock
bolt movement, and the ring gear that the heads contact is hard enough that
the serrations don't dig in much if at all under specified torque. Finally,
drilling Gr-8 bolts is a real hassle unless you have a drill press, a safety-wire
drilling fixture and a supply of carbide drill bits. My 2 cents- J Deryke