[DeTomaso] FW: ZF

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Tue Aug 5 10:02:39 EDT 2008

Dear Mike,

There was an article in Pantera International about five or six years ago about this very topic.

The interesting highlights, as I recall.

Count Von Zeppelin visited the USA during the civil war and was impressed with the use of hot air balloons in warfare. This stimulated his interest in airships. Obviously, WWI was a big impetus. He apparently invested all of the family fortune in zeppelin development only to see it go down in literal and figurative flames. The Germans were so taken with his efforts that a nationwide outpouring of donations infused his dreams with more capital and funded the golden age of airships.

After WWII the allies took over the Zeppelin industrial facility. My memory is a bit cloudy, but if recall correctly, it was broken up into about three units each one more or less under the direction of one of the Allies. The one we know best built the ZF transaxle and continues to make transmissions and automotive parts today. The other branches, IIRC, are also in business.

So, yes, there is indeed a significant historical connection between our Pantera and Count Von Zeppelin.......

A historical moment, Chuck Engles