[DeTomaso] Qvale & DeTomaso

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Aug 4 14:41:09 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/4/08 7 01 44, Stratton.Steven at bls.gov writes:

> Does the "DeTomaso Community" (Yes, that means the members of this
> listserve! :) ) consider the Qvale Mangusta a DeTomaso car due to its
> history?
>
>>>Sort of.   But it's not one we're particularly proud of!   There was one
in Las Vegas this year, which drew curious glances and raised eyebrows.

Mostly the thoughts were along the lines of, "How could they make a car so
technically brilliant and then go and make it so profoundly ugly that nobody
would want to be caught dead in it?"

> Or is it not a true DeTomaso because the DeTomaso name is not
> on it? And I have been looking into getting one, and have noticed all of
> the one's that I have seen listed for sale are in the 2,000 - 5,000 mile
> range on the odometer; are there some mechanical issues that I should be
> aware of that I have not read about?
>
>>>Not that I'm aware of, although I don't personally know anybody who has
one of the roadgoing cars.   I'm told that the chassis design is absolutely
brilliant and that they are a very rewarding car to drive.   I've seen a few on
the streets of San Francisco over the years (since the Qvale distributorshop was
in San Francisco) and they *are* distinctive.

As long as you never get out of it, the ownership experience would be
flawless.   But at some point you're going to get out, walk away, and then look back
over your shoulder, and then...

(shiver)

Yeech!

> Finally, as an aside, are there any Guara's in the US to anyone's
> knowledge? What about Deauville's?
>
>>>Steve Wilkinson had a yellow Guara coupe for some time; he was looking at
trying to import them to the USA but that project fell apart.   They can't be
registered for the road but in a loophole, they CAN be driven on the road
legally with a distributor or dealer plate.   He sold the car some time ago, and I
believe the person who bought it is registered as a dealer as well.

I'd heard it went to Japan, but then recently I heard it was at a car show
(in Arizona?   San Diego?   Can't remember) so obviously it's still in the USA.

Prior to that he had a Guara Spyder; I know that car was sold to Japan so
perhaps that's where the confusion arose from?

Joe Moore also has a dedicated track car De Tomaso Mangusta (before it was
renamed the Qvale).   His car was a test mule, and thus can't ever be put on the
road, in any country.   He gave me a ride around Pocono in the thing quite a
few years ago--impressively fast!

There are a half-dozen or so Deauvilles in the USA, including one that was
built by De Tomaso as a fully armored car, complete with submachine gun ports in
the doors, tear gas dispensers, etc. etc.   That car is in Arizona.

There are reportedly about 20 or so Longchamps in the USA also.