[DeTomaso] Today... in Asa Jay's Garage

David & Marilyn Bell davidabell at worldnet.att.net
Mon Aug 4 09:45:09 EDT 2008

The differential is easy to get out.  If I remember correctly, you just need
to remove the two side plates with bearings, then disassemble the clutch
pack can by unscrewing the 6 or 7 allen screws on one end that hold it
together.  Then the ring gear and shaft will lift right out.  The potential
problem is the allen screws holding the clutch pack together - they are
fairly small with sometimes lots of torque (or locktite or corrosion) and
the screw heads can round off easily.  That's when it turns into a PITA job.

I've also safety wired a ZF ring gear without removing it from the case.  It
can definitely be done, but it's much easier to remove/replace the bolts,
torque them properly, and thread the safety wire with the ring gear lying on
a workbench.  Go for option 1 if possible.

Muscat Dave