[DeTomaso] Steering rack adventures

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Aug 4 04:29:09 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/3/08 10 22 48, cengles at cox.net writes:

> $$$$$$$$$$$$   "..a 600 Euro phone call to Roland " (for a new steering
> rack)??   Huh,   I thought you had every variation and problem with the
> steering rack noted, filed and cross-referenced.   You mean that *you* may
> not be able to fix your steering rack with the internationally famous Mike
> Drew Steering Rack Rebuild??    Gee,  maybe those darn things are more
> complicated than I appreciated........

Well, I haven't given up just yet.   But there are some problems that can be
attributed to terminal wear that simply can't be fixed.   If the rack was
improperly adjusted or run dry, the teeth can wear out in the center, so that you
have good engagement at each end of the travel but a huge dead spot in the
middle.   That's my current situation.   I can tighten it up a bit to reduce the
dead spot, but then the rack binds on each end.

It's also possible that the actual rack (as opposed to the rack housing) is
bent slightly, which is obviously a bad thing.   They are pretty soft, and can
easily be damaged if somebody smacks a curb with a wheel.   That would explain
my inconsistent engagement, and the rack in my car, although the housing
looked perfect, did come out of a car that was totalled, so maybe the suspension
took a shot when the car was wrecked?

Fortunately I have two to chose from.   I will probably tear my other one
apart and ensure its straightness etc. and then swap it in, and see how that work
s?