[DeTomaso] Tires, Tire Life, and Nitrogen

Chris Difani cdifani at pacbell.net
Sun Aug 3 22:54:41 EDT 2008

Guys:

Slow day so it's time to ask a very technical question regarding tires.

I've noticed that there's systems available for inflating your tires with nitrogen. The claim for this is that the tires last longer, they run cooler, they get better mileage, and I'm not sure what else. The claims are all very positive.... in fact they sound so good that I wonder if they're true... or to that degree.

A single car nitrogen system runs around $160 for a tank, pressure regulator, and so forth. Which is not very much when you're talking $1000 to $1500 for a set of four tires. Especially if the nitrogen prolonged the tire life, or durability substantially.. or any of the other claims.

My question is: Anyone use nitrogen in their tires? And if so, what do you think about it? Anybody preparing to do so? If so, why?

Thanks for your knowledge, and time,

Chris

Chris Difani
'73 L #5829 "LITNNG"