[DeTomaso] Wilwood brake problems

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Aug 3 06:16:39 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/3/08 3 04 24, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:

> 1) I have Wilwood calipers and rotors and they were squealing real bad. I
> machined the rotors and sanded the pads. It's not as bad, but they're still
> squealing. Is this normal?
>
>>>That depends.   What kind of pads do you have?

And don't say "Wilwood".   Wilwood makes a dozen different pads right now,
plus they made different pads back in the day.   So *exactly* what kind of pads
do you have?

I had Wilwood Gator pads in my car, which came from Dennis Quella as part of
his brake package.   They were called that because they were painted a very
vivid green.   They created an enormous amount of dust, as well as brake squeal.

Brake pad technology has come a very long way since then (early 1990s).
Hawk HP+ pads are reckoned to be among the best, along with Wilwood's "Smart
Pads".   I have the Hawk pads in my Cobra, and they're great.   I have the
Smart-Pad BP20 in my Pantera and have been very happy with them as well (although
they still generate a bit more dust than I'd like, certainly more than the Hawks
do).   The BP10 might be a better choice if you don't drive on the track, but
I liked the torque curve of the BP20, which works better the hotter it gets.

> 2)The car pulls to the right on braking and the right tire will lock if I
> brake hard. I don't have a propotioning valve. The caliper is working fine.
> What could it be? The rotor thickness between right and left is only .01 apart.
> Opinions?
>
>>>Probably one or more stuck pistons in your LEFT caliper--your left brake
isn't working properly.   Or, you might have an obstruction in the brake line.
 When was the last time you changed your brake fluid?

I just (today) ordered a one-man pressure bleeder, after having used one at
Chris Difani's house to effortlessly pressure-bleed the brakes in my Scirocco.
 This thing is cheap, excellent quality, and will deliver superior results to
the traditional methods.

http://www.motiveproducts.com/

The European bleeder comes standard with an adapter that fits the stock
Pantera clutch and brake master cylinders.   Since I have an aftermarket Ford-style
master, I had to purchase an additional rectangular adapter, and since my
Cobra uses a VW Beetle reservoir, another adapter for that as well.

> 3) I hear/feel noises from what I think are the pads in the calipers. Anyone
> else have this problem with Wilwoods?
>
>>>Dennis Quella makes special anti-rattle springs which eliminate any pad
rattle.   I don't hear anything in my car, even though I don't have those
springs.   Over the years, Wilwood used different methods to secure the pads in the
calipers; some are more secure than others, I guess?