[DeTomaso] Today... in Asa Jay's Garage

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sun Aug 3 00:19:10 EDT 2008

Today was a productive day in Asa Jay's garage.

The final caliper rebuild was finished, so now all calipers are done and
ready to go back on the Pantera.  I removed the stock master cylinder,
disassembled, cleaned and re-assembled it.  It was in really great
shape.  The interesting difference in the stock m/c is that the seals
are these honking big fat o-rings and not rubber "cups" like I am used
to on other m/c's.  (by the way, I looked at that spare m/c I had and it
was -not- correct, having the fluid outlets on the wrong side)  I also
blew all the lines out to evacuate all fluid so it's ready for the new
ATE Type 200 (Gold) I have ready and waiting.  Since I don't have the
uprights installed, and will be removing the front a-arms again shortly,
I won't be installing the calipers for some time yet.  But they are done.

Jack DeRyke, I'll try to get that article done in the next couple of weeks.

Then it was on to the ZF.  The throw-out bearing seems okay, slightly
worn in the fork area but the bearing still turns smooth.  It has a USA
part number on it, so I'll see if I can get one locally, if not, then
back to a vendor.  The clutch appears to be okay, though I'm not
removing it.  The disks appear to be similar in thickness and I can
still see the ends of grooves on the edge of the disk.  It was easy
enough to pull the ZF out, that I figure I can replace the clutch later
when it does go bad.

I pulled the ZF onto a pallet, on the gravel and started cleaning the
case.  After a full can of engine degreaser, I figure the rear main seal
on the engine is probably leaking.  Well the ZF Case came out fairly
clean but not pristine, we aren't going for concurs correct here, just
maintenance clean.  Then I removed the lower cover to inspect the ring
gear, pinion and all the stuff inside.

The magnet had very little stuck to it.  Just what I would call normal
iron filings from normal gear wear.  The ring gear bolts have NOT been
safety wired.  They were all in place, intact and appeared to be tight.
I've been advised by others that if nothing is loose, don't bother
wiring it (but don't put a wrench to them to see).  I know from
experience with ring gears that the bolt heads are serrated and should
stay in place just fine.  I imagine this ZF has not been services
before, but I could be wrong (I'd have to check the receipt history).
If it's gone this long without losing a ring gear bolt, I think I'm
probably okay.

I'd like some opinions on that.

Looks like my brake cables though, could use to be replaced.  The
plastic sheath on one is cracked, breaking and generally in terrible
shape.  It also takes a rather 90 degree bend which I don't think is
doing me much good either.  I might be able to just replace the sheaths,
but I imagine it would be better to just replace the whole thing.  Gotta
think about that a little more.

The slave cylinder is fed at the end by the old red clear tube.  I think
I'd like to replace this.  I remember the very first PCNC tech session I
attended, the first Pantera of the day, the gentleman replaced that line
with what I think was a stainless overbraided line.  Come to think of
it, I can probably source one locally, though it may be simpler to get
it from a Pantera vendor.  I'm not sure if the old lines get brittle and
break, but I know the one on my car is not very flexible at the moment,
but -is- holding fluid.

Which reminds me, I also took apart the slave cylinder, cleaned and
re-assembled.  It appears to be a newer CNC (blue anodized) version.  I
also wire brushed the bracket and shot it with some rust preventative
metal protectant stuff.  It looks very nice now, and is also ready to go
back on the car.

Last, I visited the post office and my new bushings from the Maserati
guy arrived.  WOW!  I don't think there is anything more stock perfect
than these.  They look terrific, and fit the mounting tabs on the car
perfectly, no tweaking and no slop.  Now I just have to pull all the
(already installed but incorrect) new ones, and drive these suckers
home.  I'm pumped about having the right parts, but not the job in front
of me.  <sigh>

Tomorrow, I'll clean the uprights.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired