[DeTomaso] Thermostat Question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Apr 30 03:00:26 EDT 2008

In a message dated 4/29/08 2:47:58 PM, garth_rodericks at yahoo.com writes:
snip....
> But there should be no difference in the operating temperature of your
> engine between the different brands (opf thermostats), providing they're correct
> Cleveland thermostats and they're working....

Gotta agree with Garth. Further, on a 550-mile trip to 'Vegas one year, I ran
a 192 degree Cleveland thermostat and got a stable engine temp of about 190F.
A few days after arriving, I changed the thermostat to a 160 thermostat for a
289 Mustang, and drove home. The stable temp was.... 190F. Running a Weiand
8209 water pump with no warm-up bypass, you can do this. The 6 hr trip each way
ensured the temp was stable and I have a calibrated gauge. So the range of
the thermostat, at least for this test, made no difference. The next step would
have been to use a hi-flow thermostat along with a regular one (of the same
range) and again compare on a very long drive. But thats yet to be done. FWIW,
there are some indications that NO thermostat will radically drop a Pantera's
engine temps on long high speed runs, so I'd suggest pulling the thing
completely out and driving to 'Vegas- as long as your waterpump has no bypass built
in. See you tomorrow, Art- J Deryke