[DeTomaso] Wind Tunnel Testing

ProvaMo.com Pantera007 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 29 21:12:03 EDT 2008

Listers,

I'm sure you have all heard that the Pantera is quite impressive
in regard to wind resistance (coefficient of drag), and that it
has some issues with lift (front end lift) as speeds increase.
(Thus the benefit from front spoilers or air dams.)

Keep in mind that Tom Tjaarda designed the car without the benefit
of wind tunnel testing, which makes it all that more impressive.

Ford eventually tested the Pantera (during production),
but no where on the web had I found any actual data or final results
documenting the testing Ford performed.

Until now....

Shown here are photos of a push button car (with unusual quarter panel
lights) in the wind tunnel, and some data graphs that show comparisons
to the Ford Boss Mustang 302 and their GT40.

Take a close look at the first graph, where the Mustang and the GT40
generate negative rear lift (what I consider to be down force)
the Pantera seems to generate rear lift... Did I read this right?

Data goes up to 160 MPH.

Enjoy!

http://www.provamo.com/Members/DetomasoFactory/WindTunnelTesting.asp

I'm still looking for a source for the claim that the Cg is .34.
(Old Road & Track issue ?)
Anyone know the source?

Chuck Melton
www.ProvaMo.com