[DeTomaso] Thermostat Question

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 17:47:17 EDT 2008

Uhhh, 180-degrees. My car with a correct Cleveland style thermostat (Stant) is rock solid at
  180.  When I had a 160-degree thermostat, it was rock solid at 160. I swapped it out for the
  180 when I changed my water pump because it wasn't getting hot enough for peak efficiency.

  The only advantage to the Robert Shaw thermostat is that it's made in the USA, and
  presumably manufactured to higher specifications and of a higher quality, so it's more likely
  to outlast a typical cheapie-auto-parts thermostat. But there should be no difference in the
  operating temperature of your engine between the different brands, providing they're correct
  Cleveland thermostats and they're both working.