[DeTomaso] Fuel tank vent install/fuel blockage resolution

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Apr 26 03:40:00 EDT 2008

Hi guys,

Today was the day that I finally tackled the installation of the fuel tank
vent, in the hopes that I could once and for all resolve the nagging fuel
starvation issues I've been suffering off and on for the past year.   Chris Difani
kindly offered up his extensively equipped (and extraordinarily dusty) barn, as
well as his experience and creativity, to help with the task.

My drive up there was thankfully uneventful; the red fuel light was on as I
left my house, and since it was a good 45 miles or so, the tank was fairly
empty by the time I got there.

As Baldrick used to say on the BBC comedy "Blackadder", "I have a cunning
plan!"   My scheme was to remove the fuel tank vent, and also remove the fuel
filler gooseneck.   Once I removed whatever gick and debris was under the fuel
tank vent flange (which I believed had been secured with RTV, which was being
attacked by the gasoline), I was going to vacuum the tank clean, so to speak.

Chris has a mondo electric fuel pump, which is not yet installed in his car.
 My plan was to stick a hose into the tank, run it through a clear filter,
then to the electric pump, and send the output line back into the tank.   In
this manner, I would just cycle the fuel while using a wand at the end of the
fuel hose like a vacuum pickup to get any debris I could find, out of the tank.

We started out by removing the fuel filler gooseneck, which is necessary in
order to remove the cover over the tank, which in turn is necessary in order to
remove the vent.   That all went quite smoothly (shockingly smoothly in fact,
thanks to a long allen-wrench socket with a ball end, gotta get me one of
those!)

With that done, Chris cranked out a small die grinder and an aluminum
grinding stone.   The aluminum stone grinding on the aluminum rivets would generate
no sparks, but we took no chances and had fire extinguishers standing by.

With the heads ground off the rivets, the stock vent could be removed (by the
way, I decided to do this job without removing the side window, which turned
out to be a wise choice).   Once the vent was off, the rivet remnants had to
be dealt with.   I crouched on the gearbox and held the bottom of each one
(through the vent hole) with a pair of vice-grips while Chris used a spring-loaded
punch to slowly drive the remnants of the rivet down through the respective
hole.

With that out of the way, it was time to clean up any residual RTV goo (of
which there was precious little) and then fire up the electric fuel pump vacuum.
  It took a lot of futzing around to get the various fittings and hoses to
let everything work, but eventually we had a very workable system, and I went to
work.

I was able to look through the side window, straight down into the tank, and
with the aid of a flashlight, see the bottom.   I had my wand/hose down there
and was poking around, looking for debris.   There were a few flashes of
brightness visible but much of the rest of the bottom was dark.   Then it dawned on
me--my tank is aluminum (early '71 tank in my July '72 car, as my stock tank
rusted to shreds and somebody gave me this one).   I looked closer,
and...and....

...and, well, I just couldn't believe what I was seeing.   So I got rid of
the wand/hose affair, Chris got a coathanger and bent it up, and we stuck it in
there and pulled out this:

http://members.aol.com/mikeldrew/TankFuzz.jpg

That, my friends, is circa 1970s or early 1980s, and is a piece of a thin
bedspread!   Note the ruler in the photo to show the size.

This sucker has been disintegrating and plugging up fuel lines for 30 years!
 In fact a previous owner of this tank pulled it out of his car and replaced
it, for reasons I didn't ever learn.   Now I know!

Can you imagine how many millions of miles I would have had to drive before
this whole thing had made its way into innumerable fuel filters???

So, with that removed, now I could see the tank, and there was plenty of
other debris visible. So we fired up the fuel pump again and I sucked around for
about ten minutes.   There were some big pieces (not cloth--mostly globs of RTV
I think) that were so large that they would just stick to the end of the
metal pipe, so I would carefully extract it from the tank and then pick the debris
off the end with my fingers.   But there was a bunch of other, smaller debris
in there too, and in just a few minutes the new fuel filter looked like this:

http://members.aol.com/mikeldrew/ClearFilter.jpg

Lots of bits of aluminum (some from the countless rivets which had been used
to secure things to this tank, and some from the tank itself, which had about
nine holes drilled around the area where the flange attaches), as well as
pieces of rag fuzz, RTV and who knows what else.

I was also able to directly see the fuel pickup in the tank, and noted that
it had no sock on it, and evidently never did.   I guess that feature was added
to the later tanks, and/or the fuel pickup incorporated into the fuel level
sender.

We then cleaned off the top of the tank, and I laid down a thin bead of
Hylomar, the whip-daddy sealant for these sorts of applications, then laid the new
gasket in place, then another bead of Hylomar, then put the new vent/rollover
valve in place and (with both of us working various ends of the rivet tool)
secured it.

A vent hose went on, the fuel gooseneck and tin shield went back in place,
and we were done.   Mission accomplished!

I now know that the coffee-cup-sized fuel filter I just added is superfluous,
but I figure it can't hurt so I'll leave it in place.

Fuel starvation has been the Achilles heel of this car for over a year, and I
can now well and truly state that the problem has been resolved once and for
all!   I am most grateful to Chris for helping out in this most noble
endeavor.

I left his ranch and drove to the Sacramento airport and picked up Gray
Gregory, who will be driving with me to Vegas.   Tomorrow we're going to the PCNC
tech session at Roger Sharp's place; I have a small list of small jobs I want
to accomplish on my car, plus a fellow is bringing a steering rack for me to
rebuild.   Then Sunday is the Pacific Coast Dream Machines show, Monday we take
care of various last-minute details, and Tuesday we're on the road to Las
Vegas, baby! :>)