[DeTomaso] vent line weirdness

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Apr 21 16:30:40 EDT 2008

In a message dated 4/21/08 9 39 37, chrisvkimball at msn.com writes:

> I checked the vent hose which I had run to the air filter, and it was clear
> all the way almost to the tank.  At that point, it was plugged.
>
> I used a bicycle pump hooked to the hose to force air through it (with the
> gas cap removed, of course) and that freed it up so it was working correctly
> again.
>
> The only thing I can figure is the little rollover-protection valve I
> installed in the line must have failed.  It was installed to allow air to go into
> the tank, but in the event of a rollover stop fuel from flowing out.  I know
> it is installed correctly and in the correct direction.  I haven't had a
> chance yet to remove and inspect it.
>
> Has anyone heard of those little rollover-protection valves failing in this
> way?
>

>>>No, just rollover-protection valve installers.   :>)

 This is another example (following the exhaust fans on the engine screen
setup which still makes me crazy) of attempting to be clever and getting TOO
clever.

Chris. You hooked up the vent hose (which is supposed to just vent) to the
air cleaner which SUCKS!!!!!!   So, you step on the gas, the engine sucks air,
creates a vacuum in the line that has a check valve in it, and sucks it closed.
  Now you are sucking on the tank from two places--the fuel pump, and the
'vent' which isn't.   You're lucky you didn't do more damage.

Just vent the fuel tank to the ground, and consider yourself extremely
fortunate that the tank is so strong due to its irregular shape.

And, two thumbs up for DRIVING the car in conditions that would keep many
other Panteras locked away in the garage. :>)