[DeTomaso] Help with installing Ferrea valves desperately needed!

Tomas Gunnarsson guson at home.se
Mon Apr 21 14:51:20 EDT 2008

All,

Problem:
For my cylinder head overhaul I purchased new Ferrea 6000 series valves (F6139/F6124). To go with them I got what Ferrea call "std" 7 deg valve locks (K10017) that I thought would fit my stock retainers. I wish... The new valve locks are slightly smaller in OD which makes the retainer ride up higher on the valve shaft. The retainer sits appr. 2 mm (.080") higher than stock. It stops when it's just flush with the valve stem tip which makes them impossible to use even if I could find a way to shim up valve pressure.

What I did so far:
I called Ferrea and got to talk to someone who loved to talk but that was about it. All I wanted was a Ferrea part number for a retainer that would fit. He assured me that "any" aftermarket performance retainer would do the trick but never gave me a Ferrea reference. I took my valves and locks, new and old, and my retainers to a not-so-local speed shop and tried the Crane retainers they stocked that matched my spring diameter. While the Crane retainers cleared the tip sufficently the overall shape still left my springs way too long.

Question:
Has anyone used these valves (or perhaps the Ferrea 5000 series) in their 351C and what parts did you use to get them installed? I would also want to know if shimming of spring length was required with your setup.

Tomas, headless in Sweden :-(