[DeTomaso] A/C conversion

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Apr 19 15:01:34 EDT 2008

In a message dated 4/19/08 10:00:58 AM, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:

> Anything else I need to order? Are the vendors priced similarly? Will my
> stock condenser and dryer work?

Replace all the hoses. Old hoses are arguably the biggest source of leakage
with R-12, which is a larger less leak-prone molecule than R-134a. Also replace
the expansion valve on the evaporator under the dash, or at least clean out
the 'secret" screen filter in its input: these tiny screens are usually plugged
solid with rubber flakes and pieces of dryer debris and literally stop the
flow of freon through the system. No flow= no cooling. Some new expansion valves
don't have this screen but in view of the debris it catches and the
sensitivity of rotary compressors to siezing from debris, IMHO its worthwhile to soak a
plugged screen in solvent to clean it out and transfer it to a new
'calibrated-for-134a' expansion valve. Call around; all the vendors have their own
pricing- Good luck- J Deryke