[DeTomaso] '70 Muscle Car Mustangs

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Apr 19 14:35:55 EDT 2008

In a message dated 4/18/08 7:20:44 PM, rimov at charter.net writes:

> I have heard many say the 71-73 fox body mustangs rode and handled much
> better than the earlier fox body style mustangs, looks with standing of
> course... Did all the 71-73 come with Cleveland's ?

Handling for what? In a current interview with Carroll Shelby in Hot Rod
magazine, he mentions that even with Ford's money and Shelby's star-studded cast
of So-Cal workers, the '67-up Mustangs were too big and heavy to rework into
decent handling racers. Lower down the performance pecking order, in my limited
auto-x experience (only in Nor-Cal, only for 10 years), the most successful
autocrossers were '65 Mustangs. No one ran later versions more than once. And I
could be wrong but it seems like most '70-73 Mustangs with a 351 got the
common Windsor engine rather than the rarer Cleveland. FWIW- J DeRyke