[DeTomaso] Header Repair

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Apr 17 02:33:57 EDT 2008

n a message dated 4/16/08 5:15:49 PM, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:

> I need smooth out the imperfections. The only thing I can think of is
> filling the crevices with oxy/acet weld rod, then grinding smooth.
> Opinions? Headers won't get hot enough to melt the weld, correct? Would
> brazing rod work?

Will, I built a custom set of chrome plated headers for my brother's Triumph
triple some decades ago, and had to do exactly this to fill weld pits etc.
High-temp braze will work but plain mild steel is (I found) easier to grind and
file, then polish- and for chrome, the polishing is critical. Jet-Hot coating
is more tolerant of little areas. Good luck- J DeRyke