[DeTomaso] Mushy brakes

Rick rwgushue at gte.net
Thu Apr 17 02:05:43 EDT 2008

Will Kooiman wrote:
> The biggest improvements I made to my brakes were:
>
> 1. Bleeding both screws in the front calipers.  I missed the lower screw for
> the first year I had the car.  I lot of orange gunk came out on the first
> bleed.
> 2. Good pads (I have Porterfield r4s)
> 3. braided stainless brake lines at all 4 wheels - they made a noticeable
> difference in the hardness of the pedal
> 4. Removing the proportioning valve - you can switch to a gutted valve if
> you want the stock look.  I was going to add an adjustable prop valve, but I
> didn't need it.  No prop valve was just right.  I removed the shuttle valve
> at the same time, but I think removing the prop valve did the trick - not
> the shuttle valve.
>
> Each of these made a noticeable difference in my brakes.  I was very
> unimpressed with my brakes when I got my car.

   I did all of this except I left the shuttle valve in for safety. And
all made a noticeable difference.  Lastly (when I had the front rotors
off to repack the bearings and drill out the spindle for a castle nut
and cotter pin), I did the one thing that really made the most
difference.  I bled the front calipers with the bleed screws pointing
straight up, no air from the top screw but big gob of air from both
lower bleed screws.  I had bled them over time probably 3 or 4 times
with no air from any of the screws.
   Drove the car, tried the brakes and almost hit my face on the
steering wheel, best improvement ever.
Rick
1582