[DeTomaso] Inner Door Insulation placement on the door skin plus inner door

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Apr 14 13:22:50 EDT 2008

By 'inside the door panel', if you mean stuff glued or somehow fastened to
the outer skin, be aware that the much quieter Mangusta was originally built
this way..... but rainwater running down the side windows past the door-fuzzies
soaked into the porous soundproofing, causing the rust that eventually
destroyed most 'Goose lower door skins. Today, its a rare Mangusta that hasn't had at
least part of the original door skin cut away and a new piece welded in. So
unless the soundproofing is spaced away from the doorpanels enough so waters'
surface tension doesn't hold water between the skin & soundproofing, or you will
never drive in inclement weather, never wash the windows with water and
somehow guard against condensation in a closed garage, I advise against this.
Silence may be golden, but there are practical limits for mid-engined sports
machines, IMHO. Try some sort of spray-on asphalt-based undercoating, maybe. My 2¢-
J Deryke