[DeTomaso] ceramic coat vs. wrap

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 11 09:29:22 EDT 2008

We compared coated headers with non-coated headers during a dyno-day
session.

Text from the newsletter - in myth-busters style:

Myth#3 - Coating Ceramic headers significantly reduces engine bay
temperatures

We tested the temperature of every car's headers with a pyrometer
immediately after shutdown of full throttle testing.

Ceramic coated headers averaged about 460 degrees.  Painted headers averaged
over 800 degrees.

Myth NOT busted.  Get yer headers coated!

I don't have any real data for wrapped headers, but I've heard the same
thing everyone else will say about the wrap destroying the pipes over time.
I imagine they would have a similar or probably better heat reduction than
coated headers.

Will.