[DeTomaso] Desperately needed a timing cover for a 351 Cleveland

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Apr 10 13:44:49 EDT 2008

In a message dated 4/10/08 7:20:29 AM, bwerner at live.com writes:

> I am in desperate need of a mint condition or new timing cover for a 351
> Cleveland engine.  I want to have it chromed and I can't use one that shows any
> signs of corrosion from the water pump.

Remember that during chroming, the part is stripped, ground and polished then
plated, so most scarring will go away during the process. Any remaining
corrosion from water under the pump is hidden from view once the pump is
reinstalled. Further, there are at least two different timing covers- one has slots cut
into the steel around the area where the water departs the pump, and these may
leak either water or oil, or both at once. I fill them in with gasket cement;
some guys weld them up since they serve no discernable purpose and modern
gaskets no longer have matching slots anyway. The second type of cover has no
slots. Ther two known kinds of covers also use two different types of timing
markers; I think they interchange, but...
If this is only to increase front-of-engine bling, I suggest inquiring about
the aluminum ones supposedly made for the 351-C and marketed by Summit and
Jegs in their '08 catalogue; if these are actually for a Cleveland, this might
prove to be much simpler than finding an unscarred 37-yr-old steel cover and
chroming it. Good luck- J Deryke