[DeTomaso] Half shaft issue

Larry Weston lplugw at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 7 09:12:10 EDT 2008

I've had a u joint cap do the spin thing in my right outer u joint. Turns out I had a full set of the sleeved spicer P461 u joints in my stock half shafts. Tough to see those sleeves in the assembled shafts, particularly in the car. I've removed them all intending to get a set of proper stock replacements (Pantera East lists them at $40./ea) but it looks like I'm going to need another end yoke section.

I checked it with a mike and the affected yoke bore at 1.2615+" is about .0015" larger than the rest of them (1.260"). Is there an economical way of shrinking the offending bore and resizeing it? The notion of using stud and bearing retainer or some similar locktite product to secure the cap was also floated but I'm not to keen on that idea.

Otherwise, I'm hoping someone out there has a good yoke or maybe a used half shaft with at least one salvageable end they'd sell me?

And, before I order the new u joints can someone confirm that the bores in the stock half shaft yokes were NOT modified by honing or boring to accept the sleeved u joints? I don't think they were but it would be nice to be sure.

Thanks in advance,

Larry.