[DeTomaso] Rear seal change with engine in the car?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Apr 7 00:26:36 EDT 2008

Hi guys,

As you may recall, Chuck Melton and I have been working with Markus Woehler
to help him get his Pantera squared away as much as possible.   All the little
things are done, but the big thing looming over his head is that he has a
leaking rear main seal.   He is dreading having to pull the engine to fix it.

Assuming one cuts out the crossmember under the oil pan and subsequently
replaces it with a bolt-in style, is it possible to R&R the rear main seal without
actually removing the engine from the car?   I'm thinking that perhaps the
transaxle could be slid rearwards a little bit, the oil pan dropped, and there
you go?

I'm doublly interested in your thoughts on the matter, because I have a
long-ignored oil leak coming from the front of my motor that I haven't tried to
investigate at all yet.   It's large enough that I think it's either coming from
the crank snout or the front main seal, and I am filled with similar levels of
dread at the prospect of pulling my engine to sort it out.

So, is there an easier way?

Thanks!