[DeTomaso] Semi urgent transaxle question...

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Apr 6 19:14:18 EDT 2008

In a message dated 4/6/08 9:34:22 AM, red3644 at hotmail.com writes:

> I usually have the trans out of the car with the cover off when I refill
> with just short of a gallon of fluid.  I know about the side fill plug hole but
> was just wondering if the box is really almost empty and could I dump a
> gallon in.

Probably not. There's a surprising amount trapped inside even when you have
the bottom off and tip the ZF on its nose over a bucket. I'd fill it thru your
top port but pull the side plug and let the thing seek its own volume over an
hour or so. Over-filling will at best make a mess around the breather and at
worst will pop a side or nose seal. Good luck, Mike- J DeRyke