[DeTomaso] Pertronixs

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 6 10:28:14 EDT 2008

Probably.  I ran one until I installed an MSD.  I removed it with the MSD.

I have a Petronix in my Mallory distributor.

>From the Pertronix website, searching on "ballast":

To determine if your systems coil is compatible with the Ignitor, some
measurements should be taken prior to installation of the Ignitor. Caution.
While performing this test, never leave the ignition switch on for more than
30 seconds at a time.

Set your voltmeter to a 15 or 20-volt scale. Attach an 18 or 20 AWG jumper
wire from the negative coil terminal to an engine ground. Attach positive
(red) lead of your voltmeter to the positive side of the coil, and the
negative (black) lead to an engine ground. Turn the ignition switch to the
run position. Now read the voltage at the positive coil terminal. Turn the
ignition switch off. If the voltage measured is approximately 12 volts, no
resistance wire is present. A typical resistance wire will provide 9 - 6
volts.

The next step is to determine the resistance in the primary ignition. Label
the wires attached to the coil terminals and note their appropriate
location. Make sure that the ignition switch is off and disconnect all wires
from the coil. Adjust your meter to the lowest ohm scale. If you are using
an analog style meter make sure to zero the needle.

Measure from the negative terminal to the positive terminal. Write your
measurement down.

Now the maximum system amperage can be determined, divide your voltage
measurement by your coil resistance measurement. This will give you the
system current or amperage.

Four cylinder engines should not exceed 4 amps. Six and eight cylinder
engines should not exceed 8.5 amps. If the total amperage in your system is
higher than the amount recommended for your application, you should install
a ballast resistor.

Example
Voltage 12
Resistance 1.5