[DeTomaso] Three steps forward, three steps back....

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Apr 4 11:55:17 EDT 2008

In a message dated 4/4/08 8 08 33, artstephens at charter.net writes:

>      I think the sending unit/pick-up can be removed thru the quarter
> window?
>
>>>The later cars have this feature; the early cars like mine had a
stand-alone fuel pickup, a pipe welded into the tank.

> It might be worth pulling it out of there and blowing a little
> compressed air back toward the sock to see if anything comes out?  Probably
> best to start by blowing gently to keep from damaging the sock.  The sock
> may be damaged and allowing crap to get to the pick-up?  You may also be
> able to run a piece of wire back thru the pick-up to see if you can force
> anything out of it?  If the sock is not damaged,  there shouldn't be
> anything plugging the pickup?  Who knows,  maybe part of the sock has come
> loose,  and is lodged in the tube?
>
>>>When the car crapped out on my in Las Vegas last year, I found pieces of
the sock and chunks of RTV in the fuel filter.   I had a thought last night
(further reinforced by private e-mails this morning) that the blockage might be
occurring upstream of the fuel pump, i.e. at the banjo fitting, or in the
pickup.   So this morning I will start my troubleshooting there. :>)