[DeTomaso] To stroke or not to stroke

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 3 01:12:41 EDT 2008

Dan,

      There are some seriously powerful engine being sold with impressive warranties, so it looks like it is possible to build a high HP motor that will last, probably with a rev limiter.  I don't know what exactly is available in a crate motor, but there may be something that meets your HP goal in a durable package.  In such an instance, I'd guess the manufacturer did a lot of testing to gain confidence in the package, something you can't do on a single engine build.

      I'm taking forever (seems like that) to build a motor with a lot of serious parts that I hope will last with periodic re-freshening.  But if something serious breaks and I have to start over, I'm really screwed.  But my hope is that parts made to survive 9K RPM will last forever at 7K RPM.  You may be breaking motors, but at least you're having fun doing it.  I'd just try to learn something from each event and try not to repeat it.

      I am very impressed by the way Dennis's engines have lasted.  It looks like Russ has a lot of it figured out.  But there are those who would disagree.

  Ken

Dan Courtney <dfcex at pacbell.net> wrote:
  That's true. It feels bad to blow an engine but it probably feels worse to go through life without pushing it.
Life is short, may as well enjoy it.
Speaking of which, I'll be crashing the VARA event at Willow Springs by running test laps there Friday with "The Beast".

Dan

Dan F. Courtney

Excalibur Commercial Real Estate Services
La Jolla, CA

Phone (858) 551-5455
Fax (858) 551-5456