[DeTomaso] looking for carburator

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 14:33:48 EDT 2008

> Yes, I know Carter made a spread-bore bolt-on replacement for the stock
> carburetor; I would assume Edelbrock would offer a similar model?

Carter did not make a spread-bore bolt-on replacement for the stock
carburetor.  Carter's spread bore carb was the ThermoQuad which has
different bolt and bore spacing.  Ford made two different cast iron
4V intakes.  Early 351C-4V's got the one with a square bore flange
which accept the Carter and Edelbrock AFB and AVS square bore carbs.
Later 351C-4V's got a spread bore version of the same intake designed
to mount the Motorcraft 4300D spread bore carb.  None of the other
spread bore carbs (Rochester Quadrajet, Edelbrock Quadrajet, Carter
ThermoQuad) will mount up to the Ford intake without the use of an
adpater/spacer.  I assume Asa Jay is using an earlier intake.

Dan Jones