[DeTomaso] Pantera Mileage?

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 2 10:08:37 EDT 2008

Will wrote:
My wife gets about 26 in her Porsche 3.0L Boxster.  You'd think the difference would be greater. The big bad hot rods withcarburetors and medium sized solid cams still got around 20mpg while mywife's 3 litre modern computer controlled engine only got 26. Sure it's aperformance car, but only 6 more mpg on the highway?
This mileage thread made me pull the gas reciepts from the last road trip.  Last year I did a 3000 mile run through
Colorado in a 2004 Z16 Vette.  Miles of mountains putting along behind the Winnebangos and miles of flashing across
southern New Mexico and West TEXAS.  Averaged 30.1 mpg.  Last 2000 mile trip last week in a 99 Vette hardtop
through the Gulf states showed a 33.6 average.  Computer in the car was actually a little conservative.  On the
perfectly flat roads through the rice paddies near Houston it showed 37 to 39 mpg at 75 mph.  Interesting what
alot of torque, high gears, low rolling resistance, and great aerodynamics can yield.  Insurance is lower that the
Honda Accord too...go figure.
Michael
Gruppo Rompiculi Corsa Y'all