[DeTomaso] To stroke or not to stroke

Art Stephens artstephens at charter.net
Wed Apr 2 05:54:51 EDT 2008

     I like strokers.  My previous Cleveland was a 377 and the new one is a
408.  I'm no engine expert but if you want to rev it to the moon,  stroking
may not be the best way to go.  If you want a stump puller,  a stroker would
seem to be the answer.  I suspect my new engine will make max HP around,
5500 rpm.  If that is the case,  I see no reason to rev it beyond 6000 rpm.
With 27" tires and the .642 fifth gear,  my car should do about 180 at 6000
rpm.  I'm not likely to see 180 but I do hope to do 165 (5500 rpm) at the
Silver State.  And so far,  the stock 4.22 ring and pinion combined with the
408 is putting a big smile on my face when I step on it :-)))).  I see no
reason for pistons to go any higher in a stroker,  but I think you may have
to run a shorter piston to compensate for the additional stroke.  A stroker
may theoretically not last as long.  I believe you may have some additional
reason,  I plan to run Mobil One,  (once I get the engine broke in),  to
make mine live a long healthy life.  Scat has some reasonably priced
rotating assemblies.

Good luck Dan,

Art