[DeTomaso] Pantera Mileage?

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 1 20:52:06 EDT 2008

I got 20-21 with my mostly stock 351C.

I got about 19-20 with aluminum heads and a CompCams 282S (slightly rough
idle, solid lifters).

It didn't seem to matter how fast I went as long as I wasn't accelerating a
lot - i.e. constant 65mph was about the same as constant 75mph.

Autometer digital speedo.

I have a larger solid cam in it now, but I haven't driven it yet.  Maybe
Saturday.

I got about 19-20 in my 428 Mustang with CompCams 282S and 2 Holley 600's.

My wife gets about 26 in her Porsche 3.0L Boxster.

You'd think the difference would be greater.  The big bad hot rods with
carburetors and medium sized solid cams still got around 20mpg while my
wife's 3 litre modern computer controlled engine only got 26.  Sure it's a
performance car, but only 6 more mpg on the highway?

I've posted this before.  Our Honda Insight gets about 70mpg at 70mph.  It
also comes with a sewing machine attachment in case you get a hole in your
socks.

Will.