[DeTomaso] Pantera Mileage?

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 18:15:31 EDT 2008

It may seem obvious but mileage is HIGHLY related to speed, or at least to
rpm.

For the first 5 years in Europe I assumed that my Pantera got roughly 11mpg.
This was in the good ol´ days, when European speeding tickets were $35 for
100mph... so I typically drove 100++ mph on a daily basis. A tank of gas
would last less than 300 km. On a GT5-S with a 4.22 R&P, this means cruising
at 4000+rpm to reach 100mph.

I was shocked when after 5 years of ownership, during a long trip with rain
I got nearly 400km on the same tank... while cruising at 3000rpm. As a
result I've done experimentation and I can increase or decrease the fuel
consumption by perhaps 40% with my right foot.

As a side note, I owned my Audi for roughly the same 5 years assuming that
the consumption was 10.5 liters/100km, which is how they measure mileage in
Europe and my on-board computer gives me both instantaneous and average
consumption. Slowing down from 170 k-/hr average to 130 k/hr average gained
more than 1.0 liters/100km. I knew that gas mileage was speed related but
never really realized to what extent. I have a rather long drive to work and
gas is expensive over here - further experimentation has shown that if I had
any discipline at all I could get 9.2 liters/100 on the highway, and ever
better at slower speeds. I just don't have much discipline...

Charles McCall
1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375
"Raising Pantera Awareness across Europe"
http://members.aol.com/PanteraGT5S1985/