[DeTomaso] Steering Wheel Replacement Question

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Sep 28 21:10:29 EDT 2007

In a message dated 9/27/07 20 21 2, claywillmott at hotmail.com writes:

> Is there any special maneuver required to remove the Lecarra hubs off the
> steering column?
> I removed the 22 mm nut and the old hub wont budge.
> Just thought I would ask first so I dont break any of column fooling with
> it.
>
> I am putting on a detachable hub/momo wheel after I get the old one off.
>

>>>I built a special tool to accomplish just that.   Basically a steel plate,
with holes drilled in it which line up with a few of the holes that secure
the wheel to the hub.   A big fat nut welded in the center of the plate, and a
long bolt threaded through the bolt.

In use, you unbolt the wheel from the hub and bolt this plate in its place.
Then thread the bolt down into the opening until it touches the end of the
steering shaft.   Continue to turn the bolt, it neatly slides the hub off the
splined shaft.

If you aren't patient enough, the other technique which works great is to
spritz some lube down in there, then remove the steering wheel center.   There is
an indentation in the center of the steering shaft.   With one person firmly
pulling back on the wheel, a second person uses a long punch and a hammer and
gives it a few stout whacks.   Normally only a few whacks are needed before it
is 'shocked' and the wheel/hub slide off.