[DeTomaso] Ammeter and voltage regulator question

Larry - Ohio Time Corp larry at ohiotimecorp.com
Fri Sep 28 12:52:29 EDT 2007

Hi Dan,

See if you can move the fan/pulley on the alternator. If you can the belt
needs tightening. The belt and pulleys may also be hard and glazed and just
slipping. It is still slipping as the r's go up, but it is spinning enough
to make it charge.

What you need is an analog volt meter (big old faction gauge) to watch as
you drive the car. This will tell you what is going on. You should be at
14.5 VDC when it is charging at max.

Now remember this is a 30 year old car that sounds dam stock. Clean the
battery terminals. Clean all the ground points. Clean all the charging
connections. A bad battery can cause a non-charging like this too.

If you still think it is the voltage regulator you can bypass it and put the
alternator into full charge mode. Turn off the engine and remove the voltage
regulator connector. Connect a jumper wire between the "A" and "F" terminals
of the plug then start it up. You should see 14.5 VDC at the battery, if you
do not see it there, try it at Bat. terminal on the alternator.

Larry (carry jumper cables) - Cleveland