[DeTomaso] Is there any clear advantage of one coil per cylinder?

Mark McWhinney msm at portata.com
Wed Sep 26 12:01:41 EDT 2007

I have a 1993 300zx non-turbo 3.0 liter V6 with a coil per cylinder (That is
stock.) It makes 222 Hp which was not shabby in its day.  I don't know to
what degree if any the coil per cylinder helped or hindered performance.  Of
course, it does add expense at $90 a pop.

I had heard that the fire-on-exhaust done for pollution control does cost
the Corvettes some Hp.  I poked around on Google to confirm but did not turn
up anything.  As usual, I leave it to better minds to talk about it.

BTW, in poking around Google, I came across a good introductory article on
turning for power.  It lays out the general principles in a way even I can
understand.  It is written for Harleys but the general principles APPLY to
anyone who wants a good street engine with low end torque.  (Harleys are the
Panteras of the bike world, ya know. :->)

http://calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/HP2.html