[DeTomaso] Bigger-Better-Heavy Duty Shocks for Silver State WOOPS - No Slacker Content

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 25 21:28:31 EDT 2007

JACK - SEE ANSWERS BELOW IN CAPS AFTER <<<<<<

JDeRyke at aol.com wrote:    In a message dated 9/25/07 10:05:01 AM, teampantera at yahoo.com writes:

> ...adding a stop on top of springs to eliminate the 'full compression'....
> the negative to that suggestion is others have suggested it could also cause
> wheel hop 'at speed' on full compression which could lead to loss of control
> and an off road 4x4 excursion.....

Correct. Stiff springs & short shock-travel is for smooth roads/tracks only.
There are some special rubber bump-stops for most coil-overs but I think your
situation calls for longer shocks and slightly stiffer springs. I think you
were on the right track to raise the car up for the expected bumpy roads a few
years ago. What spring strengths are you now running front & back?
  <<<<<<<IF I RECALL CORRECTLY 450 FRONTS AND 750 REARS...YES I DID RAISE THE SUSPENSION HEIGHT FOR MEXICO LA CARRERA RACE BUT DID NOT LIKE THE WAY THE PANTERA HANDLED SO I DROPPED IT BACK DOWN.

>   If YOU have a contact name of anyone you have personally dealed with on
> customized shocks for off-road conditions send it to me. I gotta figure those
> guys who are running offroad at 150 mph can help where roundy-rounders can't.

As I understand it, its simple- they increase the shock travel- up to 24" and
raise the vehicle way up. Check the front subframe connection points where
they are welded to the front firewall. What happened to you is exactly what
broke Larry Stock's front subframes clean off the car late last year. His front
end was then only held on by his chassis stiffener bars! Good luck- J DeRyke
  <<<<<<<<<<THANKS JACK.....BUT FORGET ABOUT THE 24-36" SHOCK TRAVEL ;-}>

  MY PANTERA IS STILL A STREET PANTERA...ITS NOT A RACE CAR....THIS IS THE 3RD OR 4TH TIME AT SILVER STATE I HAVE HIT FULL COMPRESSION IN DIPS...DICK AND I INSPECTED SUBFRAME CONNECTIONS POINTS BEFORE AND AFTER ON HIS SHOP LIFT AND EVERYTHING LOOKS GOOD.   I HAVE BENT THE REAR QUARTER PANELS IN THE PAST ON THE DIPS...TWICE I CRACKED THE REAR WINDOW BUT MY SUBFRAME CONNECTION POINTS ARE OKAY....I ADDED REINFORCING/GUSSETING ON FRAME WHEN WE REBUILD THE PANTERA.

  FATTY LARRY AND HIS NAVIGATOR HAD ABOUT 400+ POUNDS OF FAT IN THE CAR WHEN THEY GOT FULL COMPRESSION...ME AND THE BABY JEZUS BOBBLE HEAD NAVIGATOR ARE DOWN TO 175 POUNDS!  STILL NOT ENOUGH;-]>