[DeTomaso] Compression Ratio Question

tony DiGiovanna tonydigi at optonline.net
Mon Sep 24 23:14:29 EDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
Ken Green
Does anyone know if there are easy ways to detect high RPM detonation?
Seems like it would be a lot harder to detect than the obvious low RPM
"ping".

Yes this is correct.
The crack in my cylinder wall was my hint.
The "sand blasted" appearance of the pistons kinda confirmed it.
The curious haze above my Webbers around 5500rpm was also probably a hint,
in retrospect.
Too much timing advance was my problem.  More advance had been making low
and mid range throttle response better.
Couldn't hear, feel, or otherwise detect the detonation.
A later experiment on a chassis dyno (with new block and a Holley carb)
demonstrated significant torque drop off at 5500rpm when I put the timing
back in the more-advanced state.

Tony "will try the Webbers again soon" D