[DeTomaso] Compression Ratio Question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Sep 22 02:22:53 EDT 2007

In a message dated 9/21/07 11:40:31 AM, asajay at asajay.com writes:
> Off the shelf hyperuetectic flat top pistons for 351C .030 over Stock Rods
> and crank (no stroke modification) Stock 4V quench heads
>
> So what's my CR? They way I figured it, somewhere around 10:1 or 10〓:1
>
> Has the block ever been squared? Have the heads ever been squared or had a
valve job? Stock valves? Whose pistons? Rods ever been rebuilt? All the above
plus factory tolerances on everything will influence C.R. To my knowlege, one
just CANNOT get the C.R closer than 'approximately' unless one piston crown
height to the top of the block for each bank is measured with a depth mike, along
with checking at least one combustion chamber volume in each head. I use ATF
from a 100ml burette for this last. No substitute for the classic method even
though it takes an assembled short block with the heads off to determine it.
Sorry- J DeRyke