[DeTomaso] Compression Ratio Question

Art Stephens artstephens at charter.net
Sat Sep 22 00:47:03 EDT 2007

Garth,
     The 377 was supposed to be about 10:1 when new.  After crunching some
numbers,  it looks like the CR could have been as high as 10.5:1 after
milling the .020 off the heads.  So,  if my CR was actually over 10:1,  I'm
guessing it was probably going to detonate,  under the circumstances,  even
if I had no oil getting into the combustion chambers?  Perhaps the engine
would have survived 1/4 mile blasts for a long time?  But it appears that
damn Rocky Baroofy character and his lead foot may have been a little too
much for it?  I have to build this engine to be able to survive,  just in
case I let that joker drive my car again :-)).

Thanks,
Art