[DeTomaso] Compression Ratio Question

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 21 14:46:21 EDT 2007

Art,

  Your 377 stroker was running 10:1 compression with iron, closed chamber heads, and you
  believe detonation killed it.  Was the aforementioned CR before or after the additional .020
  was milled off the heads?

  You want...
   - 408 stroker Cleveland built with CHI 3V aluminum heads
   - Max HP
   - Durability -  I don't want to blow up any more engines due to detonation.
   - Plenty of compression ratio, 11 or 11.5:1
   - MSD knock sensor this time around

  My 2-cents, and that's about all it's worth...
  You're throwing your money away building a high compression engine. This engine will fail in
  short order the way you want to drive it.  Also, aluminum heads usually increase the
  liklihood of detonation. So, forget high compression. The knock sensor and in-car timing
  adjustments are merely band aids for the high CR and pump gas. And you WILL NOT get
  max HP when you dial it back.

  Build a high HP low compression engine that will be durable and reliable on pump gas. Bob
  Benson's Pantera has a 411 Windsor Dart block, Brodix heads, Scat crank, steel rods, etc.
  and makes 550-600 HP with a CR less than 10:1 (I think it was 9.8:1, but I don't recall for
  sure - Bob?)

  The point is you can make BIG power with a durable low compression engine and pump gas.

  Here's a 9.2:1 CR 2V Cleveland that makes 520 HP on unleaded pump gas:
  http://www.kostecki.com.au/articles/art_of_power.html

  I think this engine will be much better suited to the way you want to drive your car and will
  far outlast your proposed build.

  Keep us posted!
  Garth