[DeTomaso] Compression Ratio Question

Art Stephens artstephens at charter.net
Fri Sep 21 13:57:19 EDT 2007

     I am having a 408 stroker Cleveland built with CHI 3V aluminum heads.  The cam is a Comp Cams hydraulic roller #32-541-8.  Lift is .578 for intake and exhaust.  Duration is .230 for intake and exhaust at .050.  Lobe separation is 110.  Installed at 106 center line.  I would like to know how high a compression ratio I can get away with?  I think detonation killed my last engine,  the 377 stroker with the same cam.  The 377 was a 10:1 engine with iron, closed chamber heads.  I did have another .020 taken off the heads before the engine finally died.  I think the engine may also have been suffering from an intake leak that allowed oil into the combustion chambers.  I intend to install the MSD knock sensor this time around.  My thought is that if I go ahead and run plenty of compression ratio, 11 or 11.5:1,  I'll get my max HP.  If the knock sensor indicates detonation,  I could dial back timing as necessary with MSD's cockpit adjustable timing control.  That way I get to have my cake and eat it too!  I don't ever want to have to run race gas,  too rich for my blood!  Is this a logical way to go or not?  I don't want to blow up any more engines due to detonation. The car has been driven for extended periods of time as fast as she would go,  it will probably happen again?  Or so says my friend,  the driver,  Rocky Baruufy :-)).  What say you,  10.5,  11, or 11.5:1?

Thanks,
Art