[DeTomaso] Rear Wheel Bearing Tool /ultimate fix?

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 17 16:07:53 EDT 2007

Garth,

      I think you're talking about what seems to be called a "wheel hub bearing assembly,"  or maybe a cartridge bearing.  They basically are an assembly with the hub, bearing, and mounting flange which bolts to the upright (or carrier).  A stub axle (or micro stub axle) is inserted from the rear of the upright, through the hub bearing assembly, and nut tightened to the outboard end of the stub axle.  The stub axle has an outside spline and the hub bearing assembly has an inside spline.  The advantages are cost and that a broken axle does not cause the wheel to come off the car.

      I've been working with a local off road race shop on a billet carrier/hub bearing assembly/CV half shaft conversion for a while.  They were stalled for a while, but are moving forward now and should have something in a few weeks.  They had everything done including a prototype billet aluminum carrier and only needed a CNC program for the carrier, but the guy I originally worked with believed that the solid rotors used in off road racing were good enough, and that's all they made room for.  I convinced them that they needed room for a 1.25 thick rotor and large Brembo calipers, and that required changing the envelope of the carrier.  Now they are redoing the prototype, and will then need to get the CNC code.  They are putting together a package including:

  billet carriers
  5 on 4 1/2 hub bearing assemblies
  matching micro stub axles
  930 (or 934 for huge HP) CV joint half shafts
  either ZF adapters or replacement ZF hubs made for CV joints
  front and rear brake upgrades including:
      hats
      rotors
      caliper adapters for selected calipers (996 Porsche (made by Brembo) first, than others as needed) and
      dual master cylinder assembly with balance bar

      The price is TBD, but looks to be half what the current billet carriers, axles, bearings, CV half shafts, and comparable brake upgrade would cost.  The rear hats will mount on the outside (they have to with the hub bearing assembly) and the carriers are designed to retain the original wheel position.

      This all seemed simple at first, but it is taking a lot of time and thought to get all this to play together.

  Ken

Garth Rodericks <garth_rodericks at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Check with Fred Terry. I think he developed a cad file for an improved upright. Anyway, I think this would be great, but what would they cost?

Thanks,
Garth

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.