[DeTomaso] Equipment suppliers, recommendations please

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 17 00:12:29 EDT 2007

Belts.
  I prefer the 4 or 5 point harness set up with seperate shoulder belts on a bar across the firewall.  The current car has the Quella style with a very nice stiffener added to the firewall and an eye bolt mounting a Y belt for the shoulder belts.  I really don't like this as it rubs my nect too much and I don't think it's as safe.  If you really load them up in a head on type situation they scissor close.  My aviation harnesses were like this but the Belts were physically separated and the Y part was farther away than you can get in a Pantera.Helmets.
  I have a Bell from Pyrotect.  I would only wear a full face model.  Look around, there are plenty of distributors.
Clothing.
  If you're starting out in a lower class, you don't need Nomex, but I would highly recommend it.
You have to wear long legged and sleaved non-synthetic clothing.  You need gloves and closed
top shoes.  If you decide to get a suit of some kind, get Nomex and not Proban.  It's a treatment and will be gone after a couple of washings.  Alot of people just wear a sage green
military flight suit.  Add a layer of Firewear or other nomex underwear and you're set up pretty good.  Jim Cooper says the underwear actually make it all cooler as it wicks up the sweat.
  All the event rule sections will cover all this.
I've used all original coolant tanks.  If they're good, they're good.  Check all the hoses and clamps twice.  I use Gates green stripe with two clamps on each hose end.  In my search for
tires for the flared car, I've found plenty of tires that would work well on 7,8 and 10" Campys.
Look at some of the vintage tires at Sasco Motosports or Roger Kraus.  Hope that helps.
You've got plenty of time.
Michael
Gruppo Rompiculi Corsa