[DeTomaso] Pushbutton

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Sep 12 20:28:54 EDT 2007

In a message dated 9/12/07 16 59 35, gow2 at rc-tech.net writes:

> My 1972 Pushbutton is #1280

Your 1972 pushbutton isn't a 1972.   It's an early 1971 that wasn't sold (and
thus wasn't titled) until 1972.   Transmogrify the characters in the VIN and
it will tell you when it was built--probably mid '71.

Apparently De Tomaso was already building cars before the crash tests were
conducted, and the early cars failed miserably.   Ford thus couldn't import
them, and they were set to the side, for De Tomaso to later foist upon an
unsuspecting European market.   I was astonished when I took a good hard look at #1256
and saw how much critically necessary structure was simply missing from the
chassis.   I'm talking about the area directly underneath and ahead of the
heater box.   The early cars fell apart like a soup sandwich when driven into a
barrier, and the center of the chassis in the cabin area was substantially
reinforced to correct the problems.

All the French pushbutton cars I've seen are similar--they are in roughly the
same serial number range (1200s), and oddly they have round bumperettes and
two-slot wheels, but everything else is EARLY early.   I suspect they might
have been 95% complete when 'new', left sitting at the factory, and were hastily
finished off in 1972 when they were ordered by French customers (or on spec by
the French dealer) with whatever bits and pieces were currently in use at the
time.

Does your #1280 have round bumpers and two-slot wheels?   And what is its
European history?