[DeTomaso] Teflon Rack & Pinion Bushing?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Sep 12 19:12:49 EDT 2007

In a message dated 9/12/07 15 15 13, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> I saw a teflon rack and pinion bushing on a vendor's web site.  I thought
> the replacements were brass.  Does anyone have experience with the teflon
> bushing?

Only the factory ones, which start to wear immediately, wear to the point
where replacement would be a consideration after about 30K miles, and are
absolutely shot at 60K miles.

The brass replacements appear to be immortal.

Why would you go through the trouble to rebuild your steering rack and
replace the inadequate stock bushing with another one with similar characteristics?
 That is, presuming that the teflon wears similar to the factory teflon.