[DeTomaso] Engine cuts off and cooling

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Sep 12 11:25:31 EDT 2007

In a message dated 9/12/07 7 57 30, garth_rodericks at yahoo.com writes:

> The short-term fix is to lower the rear float bowl level.  Jack DeRyke and
> Mike Drew
>   recommended that I run a piece of fuel line between the front and rear
> vents, and cut a vent
>   hole in the center of the fuel line. I haven't getten around to it yet,
> but Mike tells me that
>   when he stomps on the brakes, excess fuel that blows out of the rear bowl
> merely drains
>   into the front one, and the motor keeps on running.

True.   I have only performed this modification on my GT350 clone, but
eventually plan to do it to the other cars as well.   The most elegant solution
would be to use hard brake line instead of rubber hose.   I am a bit nervous about
the tiny hose clamps which are required to secure a rubber hose to the two
carb vents.   Should that somehow come adrift and then drop into the
carburetor.....

Eek. :<(

It's worth noting that Holley offers this feature (hard line) as standard on
a specific line of their carburetors (the Street Avenger perhaps?   I can't
remember...)