[DeTomaso] Engine cuts off and cooling

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Sep 12 10:48:19 EDT 2007

In a message dated 9/12/07 6 27 19, mjm at knology.net writes:

> So I finally get the car out of the shop after a long a/c conversion and
> having the bulkhead reduction kit put in I take the car out Sunday morning for
> some much needed stretching and all seems fine until after about an hour the
> temp starts going down from 180-190 to around 130-140 and from what I've read
> this is not a good operating temp for a V8. Could I have a problem with the
> fans staying on to long?

I had that happen to me when I first bought my Pantera.   The lower radiator
hose came loose and slowly all the coolant was being chucked overboard.
Because I still had the temperature sender in the DUMB stock location (in the
water bottle), as the water drained out, the water level in the bottle went below
the sender and it started reading low.   Eventually the engine started
rattling because it was so desperately hot, and I shut it off, thankfully before I
blew it up.

If your temp sender hasn't been moved to the PROPER location on the front of
the block, well, simply put, you're wrong. :<(

I'd fix that pronto, pop the cap and see what your water quantity looks like.
  If it's anything other than full you need to figure out why.

Good luck and let us know what you find out!