[DeTomaso] Mikey Excuses....Re: Who is going to be at WOT long enough to needFancySchmantzy Race Oil? 6- PANTERA OIL

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 7 23:40:55 EDT 2007

Tech's problem is with race tires with no inner-liners or dot race tires like Kumho or Hoosier's that have visable wear where driver's want to run fast.  I don't think Tech is as you wrote is "way overboard" to expect competitors to use matching tires Wot BS Mikey....I've been to over 40 ORR's and NEVER had that kind of tire problem with Tech but what you wrote sounds good. ;-]>

  Any competitor in a Pantera that shows up with any speed rated Goodyear, Michelin, BFG or other high performance tire that is less then 3 years old can go as fast as Tom said earlier Tech will allow....Add a roll bar, 5-point harness and Y or Z rated tires and you can run 130-165 Mph if you think you can stay on the road.  Stop being a cheap ass and get some good high performance tires and join us....

  Mikey, If we have to wait as long for you to show up and complete an ORR  as we did for you to finish your Pantera to make it to Vegas it will be at least another 15 more years ;-]>

  md

MikeLDrew at aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 9/7/07 11 49 35, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> So what top end do you think I can really get to?  100, 105, 110?
> From this post, it looks like I shouldn't expect too much.

Asa Jay,

A stock Pantera in good shape will reach redline in 5th gear, given enough
room to accelerate, which is 160 mph, give or take.

The real question is, what speeds do you expect the event organizers will
allow you to run? Or in fact will they even let you run at all? Tires are the
main issue; you will almost assuredly have to replace your tires before
they'll let you near the place, and while speed-rated tires in appropriate sizes
are available for both the front and rear, *matching* speed-rated tires aren't.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with running Kumhos in the back and
Bridgestones in the front (or whatever) but the tire tech people are way, way
overboard on this stuff. You will probably have to come up with a plan, then sell
it to them before you execute. Get approval in advance for your chosen
front/rear tire combo before you spend a dime on tires.

Once that's done, you're set. A perfectly stock Pantera will happily run
130 mph for hours on end--that's what they were built for, remember. As you're
not turning or braking much, even a stock oil pan is sufficient (although a
proper Armando/Aviaid oil pan is always a good idea).

Good luck and have fun!

Mike

Get a sneak peek of the all-new
AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour