[DeTomaso] Who is going to be at WOT long enoughtoneedFancySchmantzy Race Oil? 6- PANTERA OIL

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 7 23:15:56 EDT 2007

Intelligently?! Ohhh geez Ken.....its getting reeeeeeally deep in here.....I gotta race with this knucklehead.  It was bad enough all the groupies at Wendover said, "oh Mad Dawg where's that really cute friend of yours?"......woman love him...He's got that Marcello charm about him....makes a SNAFU sound romantic.  ;-]>

Ken Green <kenn_green at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Me thinks a Junior Mag Dog award should be introduced and I nominate Tom for the first recipient. Tom's story may not be as spectacular as blazing across the finish line at 170, but it does show someone dealing intelligently with a potentially critical failure and still running a good race to conclusion. John Wayne would have been proud of you.

Ken

Tom Di Iulio wrote:
Well, there was no way I was going to pull off the road 'cause the
panteras take plenty of crap from everyone else about breaking down plus
if a car goes off road or stops during the race, the event is stopped.
You do not want to be the guy that stopped the event, especially when
it's your first ORR.
I rode the brakes for a few seconds to slow the car down a bit then let
off before I glazed 'em, doing that back and forth for the final few
miles.
The moment I passed the finish line, I shut the engine off with the key,
pulled over, emptied my pants, and then checked out the carb.
What had happened was I had mounted a new air cleaner with a drop-down
base prior to the race. With the engine cold, the clearances were okay
but when the intake heated up, the throttle butterfly was raised just
enough to contact the underside of the air cleaner assembly and stick
there. Of course a few extra mashes of the gas pedal trying to unstick
it only pushed it deeper and opened the carb all the way.
That's when my plastic dashboard Jesus covered his eyes.
After stopping, it was simple to unstick the butterfly and I was able to
drive the 2nd leg back after bending the air cleaner assembly a bit to
insure there would be no more contact.
Before starting the 2nd leg, I discovered a nail in my right rear tire.
That story on how Mad Dawg and I fixed it is for another day. I want to
state for the record that Mike Drew was nowhere in the vicinity when
these mishaps occurred.
All this at my 1st ORR where I met Mad Dawg. I drove my car to and from
the event (1700 mile roundtrip) with no problems.
Ah, to be young and fearless again.....

Tom,
That sounds like an "Oh Shit" experience! How did you solve the
problem?

Art

> I'd like to point out that I ran at WOT at Bonneville '04 not because
> wanted to but because my freakin' throttle stuck....
> There's a retired cop that was driving a mid-year vette on course
ahead
> of me that I passed in the twisties at 145mph....he still brings it up
> every time we meet (which was just last month in Nebraska).
> I can assure you it was not synthetic fluids that were leaving my body
> at the time of the incident.....
> Tom Di Iulio
> Denver, CO
>
> MD wrote: I was going to say NO ONE besides me ;-)))) on this
esteemed

> list will
> ever be at WOT long enough to have to worry about using a premium
> synthetic
> race oil but ...

> --
9/6/2007