[DeTomaso] Who is going to be at WOT longenoughto needFancySchmantzy Race Oil? 6- PANTERA OIL

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 7 17:23:17 EDT 2007

Asa,
  Here is how it all worked out for me.  The first year Scott Black and I
crashed before we even got there. so don't do that.  The next year I ran my
car which wasn't finished until an hour before
we left the starting line.  I was mounting belts during the car show and we
had the valve covers off
while we were on the starting grid.  We ran in the 100mph group to break in
the engine.  Took 1st place.  The next year the car was finished but we ran
100mph because we had H rated Euro T/As.  Took 1st place.  The third year I
had another car and wasn't sure about the engine, so we ran 100mph again.
Took 1st place.  The 4th year we thought "Hell, let's see how many times we
can do this".  Took 1st place.  This year I had another car that wasn't
ready, so we ran a Vette.  Took 2nd place.  Damn!  The streak is broken but
I don't think too many people, if any, have 4 1st place
runs in a row.  Now we can run a different group.
  If I were you, I'd run around the 100mph group.  At Big Bend you can
generate some pretty strong forces in the turns at that speed, and there are
alot of them.  Silver State is probably different.  The are now plenty of
tires available for the 7,8 and 10 inch Campys, but they fall into
the vintage range of racing tires from people like Roger Kraus and Sasco
Motorsports and are pretty expensive.  Check the rules for eack race.  They
can be different.  In the lower classes you can run stock seat belts...but I
wouldn't.  You need a good helmet.  I think they all need to be SA 2005 now.
  I don't like open face helmets.  Non-synthetic clothing is required.
Nomex is best.  Remember, you're sitting inches away from 20 gallons of gas.
  Car prep is essential.  Go over everything twice.  Get under it and check
all the hose clamps, bleed the brakes, on and on.
Everyone has run their car up to 120mph and then backed off.  It's different
when you stay there for an hour.  You have to consider all this, but safety
is most important.  It's not "wheel to wheel"
racing, but you do get together.  I think I've passed cars every year.
Somebody screws up the their timing and gets off their marks.  I remember
Roger Ward talking about it being the most dangerous
form of racing done today.  He was refering to the potential for things
getting very serious fast.
You're running a street car at sustained high speeds on country roads.  You
aren't on a track in constant view of 4 or 5 EMS and rescue teams. There are
many solid things to hit.  Going off at Big Bend has been deadly in the
past.  Anyway, start where you feel comfortable and work you way up if you
want.  Finish! You don't get your money back because you had to sit in the
desert all day and watch others go by.  The people and activities around the
races are the best.  We're putting the team bac together for the April BBORR
already.  Have fun.
Michael
Gruppo Rompiculi Corsa